Full-time 35 hours a week
The Children’s Program Facilitator will primarily focus on supporting the Childcare and Afterschool Coordinators in the implementation of the Childcare and Afterschool Program Objectives. The Facilitator will provide oversight for the volunteers in each program and ensure qualified and sufficient volunteer coverage. This position will work hands-on with the kids in the Afterschool Program and assist in the Childcare Program as needed. The Children’s Program Facilitator will oversee the care of offsite children, including children in the Reunification Program and Alumni Program, while they are on campus at Shepherd’s Gate. All of this is accomplished in accordance with the purpose of Shepherd’s Gate, which is to meet the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of homeless women and children in the name of Jesus Christ.
On-Site Children’s Program Duties:
- Collaborate with Childcare and After School Program Coordinators to provide a safe environment for the children to thrive.
- Collaborate with Coordinators to plan curriculum for children that is inviting, open-ended, age-appropriate and fun.
- Teach ‘mom and me’ classes, children’s Bible study and recovery classes, educational curriculum, and emotional development skills as needed.
- Help children with online school assignments and homework. Assist with additional resources for learning disabilities.
- Meet with school officials to advocate for the needs of the child
- Oversee Children’s Program volunteers and provide necessary training for working with our children.
- Manage the schedule of children and maintain a safe ratio of workers/volunteers to children.
- Collaborate with Coordinators to seek and provide resources to meet the specific needs of the children (i.e. developmental and physical testing, therapy referrals, etc.).
- Assist with planning activities for the children (i.e. field trips over summer break, holiday activities, celebration parties, etc.).
- Pick up (transportation) children from school as needed.
- Support Coordinators in helping moms stay accountable to Program Guidelines with step by step plans to assist the child.
- Fill in for direct care of children, as needed, including occasional weekend or evening hours during special Program events or classes.
Offsite Children’s Program Duties:
- Facilitate the reunification process of children reunifying with mom on-site and support mom with education, tools, and encouragement during reunification process.
- Oversee the care of Alumni children as they attend Alumni meetings and require individual services.
Shepherd’s Gate reserves the right, at any time, with or without notice, to alter or change job responsibilities, reassign, or transfer job positions, or assign additional job responsibilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to be empathetic with children who have been exposed trauma and crisis
- Understand the problems of children coming from trauma or at-risk environments
- Strong ability to work with a wide range of children, understanding their development stages by age
- Understand principles of positive discipline when working with at-risk children.
- Ability in establishing cooperative and collaborative relationships with residents, volunteers, and coworkers.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to interact in a supportive manner with persons of all backgrounds.
- Administrative skills to manage different schedules
- Ability to supervise individuals and hold them accountable to their job duties
- Understanding of child safety needs and when Child Protective Services needs to be called
- Fun, enthusiastic attitude, willing to sing, dance, and “be silly” with the children
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially spreadsheets, database, and reporting tools.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in education preferred
- Experience in a school setting or youth programs preferred
- Demonstrated committed Christian faith
- Current CPR and First Aid training
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
- Homelike atmosphere. (e)
- Frequently moves about the campus to interact with staff and residents (e)
- Frequently ascend and descend stairs as needed to access some of the campus (e)
- Frequently moves items or able to lift children weighing up to 40 lbs regularly. (e)
- Physically able to perform tasks, including sitting on the floor, frequent lifting, bending, and standing. (e)
- Physical demands of maintaining childcare and youth rooms, snack preparation, outside activity and field trips. (e)
(e) Denotes “essential function” as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Long-term Disability, Flexible Spending Account, 401(k) with match, sick leave, and PTO.
Shepherd’s Gate job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the basic elements that are essential to a job.
Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org